It’s okay to worry, it’s totally fine when you are a bit scared but worrying too much is not okay. Remember these words from Charles Spurgeon “Anxiety does not empty the sorrow of tomorrow, but only empties the strength of today”. Why worry too much? When being worried only drains your strength. I know and understand that the pressure of life and study can turn you into an anxious heck but bear in mind that you are not alone. In this article, we will look into what anxiety means, signs of anxiety, causes of anxiety, and most especially how to overcome or deal with anxiety as a student.
WHAT IS ANXIETY?
According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, anxiety is the fear or nervousness about what might happen. Anxiety is the brain’s or the body’s response to stress, danger, or new circumstances. It is used to describe “worry” or a point when fear is bothering and lasts for some time. Most times, people use anti-anxiety drugs. This method is not bad but sometimes it comes with some side effects which include jitteriness, finding it hard to sleep, etc. Someone reading this article right now might be asking inwardly, does everyone experience anxiety? The answer to that is yes, everyone experiences anxiety from time to time. The feeling of anxiety for some people comes and goes ( only lasts between minutes to few days) while in some people it may last for weeks, months, or even years. When the latter happens, the person is said to have an anxiety disorder.
CAUSES OF ANXIETY
The causes of anxiety vary from person to person. Here are 7 (but not limited) causes of anxiety.
• Stress ( all kind of stress, work, school, marriage, etc)
• Side effect of medication
• Genetics – it can be passed from parents to children.
• Drug misuse
• Social choices
• Sometimes large social gathering or uproarious Environment can cause anxiety.
Related topic: Meaning And How to Develop Self-awareness
SIGNS OF ANXIETY
Just as the causes vary from person to person, so does the signs or symptoms. Here are 10 signs of anxiety.
• You develop a headache.
• You start having weak muscles.
• Heart beats faster than usual.
• You become restless.
• You find it difficult to focus on something else.
• Breath heavily.
• Excess worry.
WAYS TO OVERCOME ANXIETY
Here are some tips on natural ways to overcome anxiety as a student.
• Practice profound relaxing – Taking a deep breath can help you relax and calm your nerves.
• Exercise – Participating in exercise redirects you from the very thing you are anxious about. Moving your body diminishes muscle strain, bringing down the body’s contribution to feeling anxious.
• Maintain a positive attitude – Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
• Talking to a friend or family member – telling loved ones you’re feeling overpowered, and let them know how they can support you will go a long way in keeping you calm.
• Living in the moment – Worry less about the future.
• Accept things you can not control – Acknowledge that there are things you can’t control. Focusing on the present instead of the unknown future is key to overcoming anxiety.
• Adequate rest – Adequate rest enables the body to manage pressure. Get at least 8 hours of rest every night.
• Eating a well balanced and healthy food – Balanced food can help notify anxiety triggers in the body.
NOTE: If symptoms persist, you may consider seeking a medical assistant.
Don’t forget to comment and share this post. More importantly, hit the registration page and be part of our community for Free!